Our Training Programs on Financial Literacy, investing, Technology and Entrepreneurship
Thematic Learning Organization is an educational and vocational training program that teaches participants a marketable skill they can use to gain employment or become entrepreneurs. We also teach participants how to manage their money. Our objective is to change the economic future of individuals in our communities. Teaching participants marketable skills, personal development and financial concepts will go a long way to stamping out financial illiteracy.
- Length of Session: Can range from 1 to 2.5 hours
- Prerequisites: Participants will need access to a laptop or tablet during class and access to computers to complete homework during the week
- Frequency: Weekly, usually on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays – (except holidays)
Sessions may include homework assignments
COURSES WE OFFER
At Thematic Learning Organization, we want you to succeed. That’s why we offer a variety of courses and programs that can help you grow as a person and employee, and give you the skills you need to take on new challenges.
This class is designed to teach our students how to build a solid financial foundation. Students will learn the basics of financial management, including developing a budget, tracking spending, and saving.
- Understanding cash flow
- Developing a budget and spending plan
- How to keep track of your money
- Managing debt
- Building your net worth
- Understanding Credit, the good the bad and the ugly
- Preparing for the unexpected, why you need short-term and long-term savings
- Future investments and estate planning
- How to use life insurance to protect the family and build a legacy
The objective of this course to help students put their interests, passion, or purpose to work for them. We are helping to build entrepreneurs the right way.
Topics covered will include:
- What’s your skillset
- From idea to entrepreneur, how to get started
- Choosing the right legal structure
- How do corporations work
- How to form your corporation
- Opening a business bank account
- Getting the right licenses, permits, insurance
- Taxes, taxes, taxes
- Why every business needs the fab five: accountant, attorney, tax strategist, financial advisor, real estate broker
- Diversification in business
- Risk management
Our Career Readiness course is designed to prepare individuals with the ability to demonstrate core competencies that broadly prepare them for success in the workplace. The course focuses on the development of an individual’s ability to ensure their successful entrance into the workforce.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Oral/Written Communications
- Professionalism/Work Ethic
- Career Management
- Organizations, schools and community groups rely on computer end-users to understand and guard against the digital risks when using social media and technology. A single email can lead to a multi-million-dollar breach in seconds. The problem is many technology end-users aren’t aware of the dangers accompanying today’s common cybersecurity threats. This course prepares individuals to become a CyberSAFE Specialist and will introduce CyberSAFE readiness training that enables consultants, end-users, family members and employees of any organization to identify many of the common risks associated with using conventional end-user technology. This course provides cyber awareness training and provides a top-industry Logical Operations/CertNexus certification upon completion of the training.
- End-users learn to:
- Identify legal and organizational compliance requirements and resources
- Understand security compliance needs and requirements
- Recognize and avoid phishing and social engineering attacks.
- Recognize and avoid viruses, ransomware, and other malware.
- Safely use and manage passwords for internet & email.
- Browse the web securely and safely.
- Understand two-factor and multi-factor authentication.
- Work from Remote Locations and use Social Networks, Cloud Services securely
- Help ensure data and personal security on computers, mobile devices, networks and the cloud.
- The purpose of this course is to guide individuals through the process of becoming an insurance agent. Upon completion of this course, participants will be eligible to seek full/part time employment or start a career as a financial professional. With a life, health and accident insurance license the following job and business options are available:
- Life insurance agent.
- Health and Medicare insurance agent.
- Life insurance underwriter
- Financial Professional
- A real estate career offers independence, flexible work hours, and lucrative pay. A real estate agent is a licensed professional who arranges real estate transactions by putting buyers and sellers together and acting as their representative in negotiations. A real estate agent must be affiliated with a real estate broker, who is more experienced and licensed to a higher degree, and who will oversee your transactions to ensure legal and ethical compliance.
- The coursework may include:
- Real Estate Principles and Practices
- Real Estate Appraisal
- Property Management
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Economics
- Legal Aspects of Real Estate
- Real Estate Office Administration
- General Accounting
- Business Law
- Mortgage Loan Brokering and Lending
- Computer Applications in Real Estate
- Common Interest Developments
Becoming a Tax Preparer is a great entry level business opportunity with a lot of flexibility, and the profession is in great demand. A tax preparer can be independent, set his/her own work hours, generate seasonal income or even own his/her own tax practice. Being a tax preparer has its own rewards and challenges, especially when part of your job is helping people understand why so much of their hard earned money is used to support the country’s priorities and their local communities.
Participants will learn some basic accounting, customer service and organizational skills including:
- Collecting relevant financial records, including pay stubs and income statements
- Navigating tax software and how to input data from financial records into tax return software
- Applying federal, state and local tax law to determine deductions and how much each client will pay or receive on the return
- Completing and filing tax documents with the IRS, state and local government entities
- Preparing for passing the CTEC exam
- The objective of “Bookkeeping 360” course is to teach individuals general bookkeeping skills within the following topics:
- Business transactions vs personal transactions
- What accounts do you need to track
- The difference between assets, liabilities, and owner’s equities
- How to categorize and enter data
- Different bookkeeping systems ( manual vs automated)
- Creating financial statements (income, cash flow, balance sheet)
Many people describe 21st Century technology as challenging, helpful, confusing, inspiring, mind boggling, invasive, brilliant, intuitive, a rabbit-hole. The reality is, no matter how one feels about it – technology is found in just about every aspect in our lives. Our cars, homes, Dr. visits, order groceries, our government, hospitals, courts, and on… With that, it is clear that technology is here to stay, and in order for one to be actively employed, or successfully run a business one does not need be an expert, but they must be proficient.
This course will introduce individuals to the varied methods, systems, devices and groups of technologies that are employed in a business environment, their utilization, how they fit together to allow you to be knowledgeable and skilled. and how they are ever evolving. This will also include an overview discussion on what types of hardware and/or systems will support, run and maintain businesses today.
Topics will include:
- Systems – What are the requirements?
- Connectivity – Wireless, Bluetooth, Fiber Optics, Cable
- The Cloud – universal storage, Google Drive, Drop Box
- Video Teleconferencing – Zoom, MS Teams, and others
- Communicating – Instant Messaging
- 3-D Printing
- Social Media
- Productivity Software
- Genetics, Nanotechnology, and Robotics (GNR)
- Mobile Operating Systems
- The latest from the technology zone – the next generation.
Personal vs Business Communication – While it is important to have effective personal communication, it is more important to have effective business communication. One of the largest differences between personal and business communication is that business communication usually is more formal and there is usually a much larger audience. People do not normally practice speaking before talking with a spouse, friends, or family, but they do, often practice speaking prior to conducting business with customers and business associates.
In business individuals need to know when to listen, when to talk, and how to share ideas effectively. Clear and concise communication states exactly how, who, what, and when and serves to guide, direct, protect, persuade, and to inform. Communication is essential for decreasing miscommunications and for increasing productivity, motivation, and efficiency. When someone uses effective communication, he or she is more apt to have favorable results and his or her requests will become granted more often.
This course will include the following areas of focus from a Business and Personal perspective:
- The big picture of when it comes to communication -Business vs Personal
- The four basic language skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- The four basic communication styles: passive, aggressive, passive-aggressive and assertive.
- Emotional Intelligence
- Understanding Communication barriers
- Paraverbal Communication Skills
- Listening Skills
- Non-Verbal Communication
WORSHOPS WE OFFER
At Thematic Learning Organization, we offer a wide range of workshops to help you succeed in your career.
These workshops are designed to teach our students basic financial concepts and how money works. Our focus is on our youths and young adults, from middle school to college age students. We believe if our youth understand how to use money they can improve the financial well being of themselves, their families, and of the communities they live in.
- Developing a wealth building mindset
- Saving for a car, a place to live
- Creating a spending and savings plan
- Understanding how to control debt
- Investing 101
- College, career and entrepreneurship
- A Healthy you, get fit stay fit
This workshop is packed with a ton of information . From novice to savvy investor, you’ll learn the basics of trading, analysis and profit taking in world of investing.
Topics will include:
- The language of investing
- Understanding the stock market, the major indexes and its function
- Identifying your personal risk tolerance
- How to setup a trading account
- Identifying the sectors and industries that make up the market
- Learning the different investing styles and types of results
- Developing the skill set to research using fundamental analysis
- Learning how to read data in real time with technical analysis
- Alternative investments i.e. precious metals and cryptocurrencies
This workshop is designed to teach you about business opportunities, ownership, risks and rewards.
- The mindset of an Entrepreneur
- Types of entrepreneurial opportunities
- The five types of business opportunities
- What you need to know before you start
- Doing business in a digital world
- What goes in a business plan
- What’s the right business structure for your business
- What you don’t know about taxes and bookkeeping could hurt you
- Having the right support, the Fab 5
- Inspect what you expect, monitoring your business activities
eCommerce was introduced roughly 40 years ago with the major milestone being hit in 1979.
Michael Aldrich invents electronic shopping.
English inventor Michael Aldrich introduced electronic shopping by connecting a modified TV to a transaction-processing computer via telephone line.
This made it possible for closed information systems to be opened and shared by outside parties for secure data transmission — and the technology became the foundation for modern eCommerce. Since then eCommerce has evolved into a massive industry helping business grow their presence online and provide opportunities for individuals for those to create a brand(business).
Participants will learn:
- What is eCommerce
- Types of goods that can be sold online
- The different eCommerce business models
- How to set up and monitor your eCommerce store
What’s required to begin in eCommerce
Participants will learn about the California Career Zone website and how it can assist them in being Career Ready. This platform provides the tools to match a participant’s interests and skills to career opportunities and is designed to help participants explore, plan and prepare for a career of their interest.
INTERESTED IN OUR PROGRAMS?
Interested in our programs? Our educational and vocational training programs help you develop the skills you need to succeed in your career. We offer courses designed to help you achieve your goals and advance your career.
BE PART OF OUR CAUSE.
We believe that every person has the power to change the world, and we want you to be part of our cause. You can help us raise funds, and every dollar goes a long way towards helping deserving participants become financially stable.